The Facebook Messenger platform is a great innovation from Facebook that makes relating with other users on the platform easier.
There are a lot of features that are enabled on Facebook Messenger.
The platform is made to accommodate other means for its users to relate with themselves. One of these is the video call feature.
However, as a user of the Messenger space, you may not feel up to the task of handling video calls on the platform.
This can be a thing of specificity or in a general sense.
Specificity in that you do not want to entertain video calls from certain users in the platform or general in that you do not want to make use of the video call feature at all.
The problem will now be in the fact if you are active online, anyone can initiate a video call with you on Messenger as far as the person is a friend on the Messenger space.
What then can you do?
Find out how to regulate video calls or turn off video calls completely on Messenger in this guide.
How to Turn Off Video Calls on Facebook Messenger
As an active user of Messenger that makes use of the Messenger mobile application, turning off the video call function directly through the mobile application is not feasible.
This is because carrying out this action has been enabled for the web version of accessing the Messenger platform.
There is no need to worry because you can still access your Messenger account and carry out the action of turning off the Video call feature using either your personal computer or your mobile phone using a web browser.
The steps provided below will help you to turn off the video call feature on Facebook Messenger.
Step 1: Open the Facebook Platform
Make use of a web browser either on your mobile device or on your PC and launch the Facebook platform by going to its official website.
Enter your account details and log into the platform.
After you are logged into the Facebook platform, navigate to the Chat section of your account.
The chat icon is the same as that of Messenger and will be found on the homepage of the account you just opened.
Step 2: Go to Your Chat Settings
When you are logged into the chat section, go to the Settings of your account.
If you are using a mobile device, alter your browser settings to the Desktop site so that you can access the homepage of your account as though you are making use of a desktop computer.
To locate the Settings of your account, navigate to the bottom of the page.
You will find the Settings cog to the right at the base of the page.
Click on the Settings button to go to the settings page.
Step 3: Turn off Video Calls
Once the Settings page is opened, search for the Turn Off Video/Voice Calls feature and enable it.
Step 4: Set Duration
When you enable the voice/video turn-off feature, you will get a prompting to configure how long this should be.
There are 3 options that are available for you to pick from.
- For An hour
- Until 8:00
- Until I turn them on again
Select the third option to completely turn off the video call feature until you are ready to turn it back on.
You can still go for any of the other two that serve you best.
Step 5: Confirm the Process
After choosing your preferred duration, you will need to confirm the process by selecting the Disable button.
When you turn off voice/video calls, you will not be notified when you get a voice or a video call on Facebook Messenger.
How to Regulate Video Calls on Facebook Messenger Individually
It is possible that you do not have issues receiving calls on Messenger in a general sense but would rather that some persons do not call you.
If this is the case, you do not have to turn off the voice/video call feature completely in your Messenger, you can do one or two things instead; block or mute whoever you do not want to receive video calls from.
How to Block Someone on Messenger
To block a person and prevent the person from reaching you via a video call on Messenger, do the following:
- Launch the Messenger application from your mobile device or log into your Messenger account using a web browser if that is more convenient.
- Search for the user that you want to block and open the chat with the user by selecting the username of the user.
- At the top of the chat page, locate the enclosed “i” icon to the right and press the icon.
- From the options available, select the Block
- Enable the feature on Messenger by toggling the Block on Messenger
- You can decide to extend the action to Facebook if you equally do not want to relate with the user on Facebook by selecting the Block on Facebook feature as well.
How to Mute Someone on Messenger
If you are not comfortable with blocking a user you do not want to entertain video calls on Messenger from, then, you can mute the person instead and here is how.
- Go to the Messenger application using your mobile app or web browser.
- Find the user you wish to be muted.
- Press the username of the user to open the conversation thread with the user.
- On the conversation page, select the “i” icon at the top right part of the page.
- Locate the Mute feature beneath the profile picture of the user and select it.
- Duration options will be made available for you to select the one that works best for the situation.
When you mute a user, you will be notified even if they call you.
That way, you will not have to take their video calls should they try to reach you through one.
Turn off Video Calls on Facebook Messenger FAQs
How do I disable Facebook Messenger calls on Android?
To disable Facebook Messenger calls on android, you will have to make use of a web browser and log into the Facebook platform.
Afterwards, you will have to go to the chat section of your account and launch its settings.
Select to turn off the voice/video call features on the settings and confirm the process by selecting the Disable button.
How can I turn off video calls on the Messenger app?
Turning off the video call feature on Messenger is not enabled on the mobile app.
You have to make use of a web browser to be able to carry out this action on Messenger.
A thing you can do if you do not want to handle any video call from the Messenger platform configures the settings of your mobile device to not permit a video call on Messenger.
You can do this by denying the camera app permission to be launched when you are operating the mobile app.
You do not have to be pressured by having to deal with unsolicited video calls while you are enjoying the Messenger platform.
Turn off the video call feature so that you will prevent calls from coming in if you don’t want to entertain a video call at all.
However, you can settle for blocking or muting a user whom you do not want to receive a video call instead of turning off the feature on your Messenger.
- How to Fix Your Account Has Been Locked on Facebook
- Does Facebook Notify When You Screenshot a Picture or Story
- How to Turn Off Video Call on Messenger App
- How to Create an Oculus Account Without Facebook
- How to Fix Messenger Not Sending Messages
- How to Fix Messenger Black Screen
- TikTok Liked Videos Disappeared? Here’s Why & The Fix - October 23, 2022
- How to Find Unread Messages on Messenger - October 14, 2022
- How to Delete TikTok Account Without a Password - October 4, 2022
4 thoughts on “How to Turn off Video Calls on Facebook Messenger”
Comments are closed.