How to turn off read receipts on Instagram has become one of the trending questions in most online communities.
It is not surprising as users on Instagram and other social media platforms want more privacy.
When someone sends you a DM on Instagram, the expectation is that you respond swiftly. And with the read receipt, the sender can tell if the recipient has read their messages.
If you’re like every other person, you don’t want Instagram to notify the sender that you have read their message.
So how do you disable read receipt on Instagram?
In this article, I will guide you on how to turn off read receipts on Instagram and the best practices to follow in order to be safe on Instagram.
Sounds great? Let’s get started.
What is Instagram Read Receipt?
Instagram Read Receipt is a new feature in Instagram which allows you to track who has read your messages.
Read receipts are an essential part of the modern social media landscape. Instagram has been at the forefront of this new technology and now Read receipts are available for all users.
If you’re not familiar with Read receipts, they are essentially a notification sent to the sender when someone has opened their sent messages.
This feature allows you to know exactly if the DM you sent has been read by the recipient, hence helping you track and follow up accordingly.
Can I Turn off Read Receipts on Instagram?
Unfortunately, there’s no official way to turn your read receipts off on Instagram. But that’s not a dead-end to turning off read receipts on IG.
There are other ways to actually read Instagram messages without the sender knowing.
How to Turn off Read Receipts on Instagram
As earlier mentioned, there’s no official way to disable read receipts on Instagram.
However, you can read Instagram messages without the sender knowing by following the methods below.
Turn Off Instagram Message Notifications
While on Instagram, a tap on the message notification gets the message marked as read. Unfortunately, you cannot undo it.
To avoid this, it is advisable to turn off Instagram direct notifications. That way you don’t get to click on the messages.
Below is how to turn off IG notifications:
- Launch the Instagram app and log in to your account.
- Navigate to your profile.
- Next, click on the menu icon (three horizontal line bars).
- Click Settings.
- Choose Notifications.
- Then select Messages and Calls.
- Under the Message Request and Messages section, check the off button below it.
Read Instagram Messages While in Airplane Mode
The second method to read Instagram messages without showing seen is to use airplane mode.
Let’s explore the steps in detail:
- Launch your Instagram app.
- Click on the Messenger icon at the upper right corner of your screen. But if you haven’t merged your Instagram and Facebook Messenger inbox, click on the mail icon to launch the IG direct inbox.
- Next, turn on airplane mode and ensure that the Wi-Fi is turned off. The steps to do this differ depending on the device that you are using.
- Go ahead to read the IG message.
- Once done, exit the Instagram direct inbox and navigate back to your profile page.
- Next, click on the menu bar (three horizontal lines).
- Click Settings at the bottom of the screen.
- Then force stop the Instagram app or log out of your account.
- Proceed to disable the airplane mode.
- Finally, log back to your Instagram account.
That’s it. You have now successfully read the Instagram direct message without the person knowing.
See Also: How To View Private Instagram Profiles
How to Turn off Read Receipts on Instagram FAQs
Is there a way to turn off read receipts on Instagram?
Though there is no direct way to turn off read receipt on Instagram. But you can read Instagram messages without showing seen.
To do this, simply turn off Instagram direct message notifications. Another way is to enable airplane mode, read the IG message. Then disable the airplane mode again.
The steps to do this are detailed above.
Can you turn off read receipts on IG?
There are two ways to turn off read receipts on IG; disabling Instagram direct message notifications and reading the message on airplane mode.
Those are the two working methods to turn off seen on Instagram DM.
As you mentioned above, you cannot turn off seen on Instagram messages, but you can read the message while on airplane mode to avoid it being marked as seen.
By following the steps highlighted above, you’re guaranteed that the messages that you read on IG are not noticed.